Food Safety & Sustainability
We are aware that consumers are demanding a greater focus on the overall safety and sustainability of the products that they purchase. Everyone in the chain, including orchard management, post harvest and related staff, need to believe that the systems are relevant to them and they are an integral part of the overall picture.
The following systems and policies in place:
- Documented quality system, with a traceability and product recall procedures in place from orchard through to market.
- Plant protection products applied are registered for use in New Zealand. All spray application records are submitted for auditing and clearance prior to harvest. Crop protection against weeds, pests and disease is achieved with the implementation of the Pipfruit NZ’S Integrated Fruit Production programme. This programme involves disease/pest monitoring and includes a range of control methods from biological control agents to agrichemical use.
- Efficient use of energy, water, and natural resources assists with overall goal of reducing the environmental impact of orchard practices.
- Conservation of Wildlife and landscape features is prioritised in order to promote biodiversity on the orchard. This is achieved through continual review and improvement of orchard layout and management practices to protect and enhance environmental features within the orchard.
- Prevention of pollution is considered in all areas of orchard management. Orchard practices have been developed to avoid or minimise all types of pollution.
- The re-use of waste is implemented where possible to reduce the environmental impact of orchard practices. Preference is given to the use of systems and working methods that avoid or minimise the production of waste.
- Management are committed to ensuring the health and safety of employees and visitors to the orchard, preventing the physical, chemical and microbial contamination of fruit for consumption. Risk assessments are undertaken frequently and reviewed, covering health and safety of staff and visitors.